|Ocean Voyage: A book of gigantic proportions!|
Here are my thoughts on the book:
- Mark's passion for good quality local produce, his love for the island of Jersey and the strong rapport he has built with his suppliers emerges powerfully in the book.
- The photography is out of this world. A long time can be spent pouring over the pictures of the food and the island of Jersey alone. Mark's accomplishments are exquisite; showing finesse, flair and attention to detail.
|From the Start: Pan-Seared Foie Gras, Apple Tart aux Fine, Salted Caramel|
|From the Ocean: Pan-Roast Sea Bass Fillet with|
Fresh Garden Peas and Seared Jersey Scallops
|From the Desserts:Raspberry Nougatine, |
Pistachio Cream, Raspberry Reduction
|The Contents Section|
- The Contents section is very cleverly laid out in the form of a menu: "From the Start", "From the Ocean", "From the Land" and "From the Desserts".
- It is the perfect book for aspiring chefs and those wishing to emulate the fine dining experience at home. This book lends itself to various techniques which will set expectations to a superior level.
- The Appendixes/Appendices section includes a list of useful shorter recipes which are often referred to in the main section of the book. These range from Parmesan Foam to Veal Jus. Indeed, it was from this section I had today's lunch ; "Linguine with Home Made Pesto". Simple ingredients, but packs a powerful punch in the taste ratings.
|From the Appendixes/Appendices Section: Home Made Pesto|
- The book goes beyond Mark Jordan's cuisine, but acknowledges the luxurious Atlantic Hotel and Jersey as a food lovers paradise . Having never been to Jersey, I am much more appreciative of what the island has to offer.
- Practicality, accessibility and price of ingredients.
- Complexity and time involved.
- Size of the book
Overall MelikeyUK rating: 7.5/10
Ocean Voyage is available to purchase here.
For more information on The Atlantic Hotel and Ocean Restaurant click here.
I would like to extend my thanks to The Dovetail Agency for sending me a copy of Ocean Voyage to review.