Friday 17 June 2011

Macarons by Pierre Hermé

A few months ago, I was watching the adorable Loraine Pascale on her "Baking Made Easy" show. I am so impressed that she has been able to keep her model, svelte figure while concocting those glorious, sugarfest baking delights. One of the episodes had a piece on Macaroons and for inspiration, she travelled to Paris and featured the distinguished Pierre Hermé's boutique situated in the very affluent Rue Bonaparte. Of course, the French call them Macarons, the English say Macaroons but being Scottish, Macaroons refer to something altogether different; a sweet confection made with sugar, coconut and chocolate. So, to avoid confusion, I will call them Macarons, comme les français!
Pierre Hermé at Drugstore Publicis, Champs Elysées
There is much debate as to whether the Macaron is derived from France or Italy, but the Macaron as we know it today is a creation of Pierre Desfontaines of the renowned French pâtisserie Ladurée comprised of two almond meringue discs filled with a layer of buttercream, jam, or ganache filling. Read about my visit to Ladurée here.
I visited Paris a couple of months ago, and while I was keen to visit the Pierre Hermé boutique on the Left Bank, due to time constraints, I ended up going to the Pierre Hermé counter at Drugstore-Publicis on the Champs-Élysées. On a very average Wednesday, the popularity of Pierre's macarons does not diminish so I had ample time to decide on my macarons of choice.
Easter Collection at Pierre Hermé

I opted for 2 gift boxes of assorted macarons priced at 24 each. Each box contained 12 macarons and is accompanied by a menu card. Some of the macarons are only available depending on the season which I thought was a real savvy way to take advantage of seasonal flavours.
I bought these macarons in the lead up to Easter (end of March/start of April).

Reflections of the macaron tasting;

Those I would try again:
  • Infiniment Chocolat
As the name suggests this flavour packs a powerful, intense chocolate punch using Porcelana dark chocolate from Venezuela.
  • Infiniment Caramel 
With a salted buttery caramel. Lipsmackingly good.
  • Creme Brulée
As soon as you taste this combo, you are all at once feeling familiarity but it takes a while for you name the vanilla and caramel ingredients. A really light and enjoyable flavour.
  • Arabella
A composite of milk chocolate, passion fruit, banana and candied ginger. Wonderfully exquisite!
  • Mogadur
With an amalgam of  milk chocolate and passion fruit, I did not think that this alliance was ever going to work but trust me it does! The chocolate is subtle enough to give way to the deep, rich flavour of the passion fruit.
  • Indulgence 
This is actually a fusion of fresh mint and pea. And although, not normally associated with confectionery, they both have sweet notes, so the flavour combo works quite well.

Macarons by Pierre Hermé

Those I'll be resisting:
  • Infiniment Rose 
Rose and rose petals infusion. I've always struggled with rosewater flavoured confectionery.Although it is probably the nicest version I've tasted, I'm afraid, it reminds me too much of Turkish Delight and I am not a fan. I think Turkish Delight can be very divisive, you either love it or hate it!
  • Coing & Rose
Quince and rosewater. Again for the reasons above, I did not really enjoy this flavour. I also could not taste the quince because the rosewater was so overpowering.
  • Metisse
A melange of carrot, orange and cinnamon. I could not detect any cinnamon, leaving a carrot and very subtle orange taste. It was fine but it did not leave a lasting impression.
  • Dépaysé
As the name infers, a combination of flavours unaccustomed to the French palette. This contains Matcha green tea, azuki bean, lime and ginger. This was pleasant enough, but I thought the green tea and lime flavours were more prominent than the red bean and ginger.

Those I look forward to trying:
  • Reglisse & Violette
Liquorice and essence of violet.
  • Infiniment Jasmin 
Jasmine tea and Jasmine flowers

Both of these flavours were being made available in late Spring.

Overall, I think the collection is a nice gift idea. It allows you to explore an array of surprising and sometimes challenging flavour combinations. I have now ticked off item 4 on my Food and Drink Wish List.

If you want to experience Pierre Hermé's macarons visit: 
London:
Stand alone boutique at 13 Lowndes Street, Belgravia or,
Pierre Hermé Counter in Selfridges, Oxford Street
Paris:
For the ultimate French experience visit the boutique on Rue Bonaparte, Paris



    12 comments:

    1. Yum! Im jealous!! They all look so good - I think I would want to try them all - rose included (but im a big fan of rose/ turkish delight etc!!)Delish! : )

      ReplyDelete
    2. Thanks Lynds! I think for me it's a toss up between the Creme Brulee and the Mogadur!

      ReplyDelete
    3. You bring such a sweet and savory accent to macarons, Paris and French pastries. Bravo!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Mario, what a lovely comment! Thank you!

      ReplyDelete
    5. Thanks for the review and sharing the best ones. Always hard to choose which one to go for!

      ReplyDelete
    6. Thanks for stopping by Working London Mummy.
      It was a very good tasting exercise ;-)

      ReplyDelete
    7. These look gorgeous. I was just thinking this week that I should try and make macarons again. I know if I do I won't be able to make them half as pretty as these professionally made ones.

      ReplyDelete
    8. Thank you! Judging by your other dishes Corina, I'm sure they will turn out very pretty indeed.
      Are you following a particularly recipe? Which flavour were you hoping to make? Good Luck ;-)

      ReplyDelete
    9. I'm another one who love Turkish Delight so I'd really like the rose one. The creme brulee would be a highlight of mine too. I've had a liquorice one from Laduree and it was delicious.
      As for Tessa Kiros' books, I've only borrowed Twelve: a Tuscan Cookbook and it wasn't really for me. I gave it back without making anything, no recipe grabbed me. I'd still give her other books a try, would like to read her Greek Kitchens cookbook.

      ReplyDelete
    10. Thanks for the tip on Laduree liquorice macaron Nathalie - I'll be trying that the next time I go!

      ReplyDelete
    11. Just seen your super post. Sorry I missed you in Paris, but then I don't go eating too many macarons these days from the boutiques ;-)
      I'm like you: remember the days in Scotland with Turkish Delight - blerch! BUT, a rose macaron is totally different and put together with a glass of Champagne = The Big O. Glad you enjoyed the PH tasting. Sheer luxury! Next time you're in Paris give me a shout.

      ReplyDelete
    12. Thanks for stopping by Jill. No I guess when you turn out top quality macarons, there is less desire to go and sample boutique ones ;-) Trying them with a glass of champers is a nice touch -I'll give it a try next time. Yes it would be lovely to see you in Paris next time we go. Cheers ;-)

      ReplyDelete